Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Weekend rock climbing trip to the Blue Mountains in Australia


           Before heading off to Australia I did a good amount of reach search about rock climbing in the Blue Mountains; I knew there was no way I would miss the opportunity of climbing in such a beautiful landscape.  In the reach search I did I found and joined a Blue Mountains Rock Climbing Facebook group.  There I posted the dates I wanted to climb and if there was any one that would be interested in getting together.  I got lucky and Damien replied to my post letting me know that his buddy Nick was visiting for those same dates on a weekend climbing trip and I could tag along with them.  So knowing I had some climbing partners I booked a hostel in Katoomba and headed off to meet up with them.
         

         After a two hour train ride from Sydney to Katoomba I went straight to my hostel where after I checked in and dropped off my bags headed out because I was to met with Damien and Nick at restaurant to get to know each others and have an idea what were the plans for the weekend.  We had a good meal and I headed back to my hostel to get some rest for the next day.
          While in the lobby of the hostel I noticed a girl was on her Mac using Lightroom.  Her images were really nice and the more I payed attention I could tell she knew what she was doing, so I decided to talk to her.  I found out her name was Melissandre, she was from France, worked as a graphic designer, was taking some time off to backpack around Australia, and her photography was beautiful (check out her work here: CelestialK).  I mentioned to Melissandre that earlier while checking in I saw a poster advertising a night time photo tour around The Three Sisters; one of the main attraction in the Blue Mountains.  The only thing the tour was the night before but we that was fine because we both had tripods and knew how to shoot at night, so we head off to The Three Sisters to play around with some night photography.

 

       At first we wanted to capture the Milk Way like the images on the poster I had seen, but it was too cloudy, so then we just started photographer anything.  Being a portrait guy I crated one of Melissandre using both our iPhones on the brightest setting as a key light to light her face.  












No comments:

Post a Comment